How the Health Care law Benefits Young Adults and Children
- Allows young adults to stay on their parents’ health plans up to their 26th birthday.6.6 million young adults have already taken advantage of the law to obtain health insurance through their parents’ plan, of whom 3.1 million would be uninsured without this coverage.
- Bans insurance companies from dropping young adults when they get sick or have an accident
- For young adults in new private plans, provides free coverage of key preventive services
- Provides access to quality coverage to the millions of young adults without access to affordable job-based plans,with the establishment of new state-based Health Insurance Marketplaces, beginning in 2014. Currently, young adults are the most uninsured group among all Americans.
- Prohibits insurers from denying coverage to children under age 19 for having a “pre-existing condition.” Up to 17 million children with pre-existing conditions are now protected from discrimination.
- For children in new private plans, provides free coverage of key preventive services, such as immunizations.
- Provides access to quality coverage for millions of children, beginning in 2014. Currently, there are 7 million American children without any health insurance.